Natural slate is one of the most durable and aesthetically pleasing of all roofing materials available.
The awesome power of nature, which has formed slate, as well as the expertise and skill of the craftsman in hand shaping and fixing the roofing slate, puts slate in a league of its own. Slate is a natural product that comes out of the ground, and can safely go back into the ground. Asphalt and fibreglass roofing made up of Petrochemicals typically last 15 – 20 years.
Benefits of Slate Roofing:
- Slate is Green - Environmentally friendly
- Slate is waterproof and is impermeable to water.
- Slate is fireproof – it just doesn’t burn!
- Slate itself doesn’t need maintenance – no painting on an ongoing basis.
- Slate is stable under extreme conditions of either hot or cold climates.
- Slate is available in natural earthy tones, and no two pieces are the same.
- The cost of slate is low when you take into account the long term durability.
Construction waste makes up about 30% of the refuse placed in landfills
Construction waste makes up about 30% of the refuse placed in landfills. This percentage is more than the waste from styrofoam, fast food packaging, disposable nappies and all plastics combined. Environmental concern is definitely a good reason for installing slate.