Thinking of buying a new home?
One of the biggest maintenance issues in any home is the roof. Many people are unaware that if regular maintenance is not done a major insurance claim may be declined. Roofs are often overlooked because we seldom, if ever, actually climb on or in the roof unless there is a problem.
A damaged or badly constructed roof could end up costing you many thousands of rands. Often, ceiling insulations masks slow leaks and professionals are well acquainted with this. Mold is another indication that something is amiss. Unseen timber issues can become very costly. Not to mention simple issues like borer beetles.
When buying a home, it is imperative that you get a professional roof report – just like you currently do with an electrical compliance certificate. Major roof issues are often disguised and there are other typical sings that should be taken into consideration:
Roof Report Rates (prices):
- Small roof – up to 150 m2 R2950.00 ex VAT
- Medium roof – up to 300 m2 R3650 ex VAT
- Large residence – 300 + m2 R4250 ex VAT
- A freshly repainted roof can hide a multitude of sins
- Freshly painted ceilings could be hiding watermarks
- Roof and/or ceiling sag
- Loose or broken barge boards
- Broken, loose or missing Fascia boards
- Broken, loose or missing verge tiles
- Gutter blockages, rust and damage
- Obvious signs of rust
- Broken tiles or slates